VIEW OF THE CIRCULAR BASTIONS THROUGH THE ARCHED SILTS
The word Bakel could have derived from’ Baliakulam ‘which means a big place.According to local Kannada writer Bakel Ramanaik,the place is said to have been the seat of a big palace in the distant past.BAILAKULAM got corrupted as BAIKULAM and later as BAKEL.Another version is that the word Bakel could have derived from boiled stone. As we know Bakel is situated in the seashore village of Pallikkara just twelve kms away from Kasarkode in nothern kerala.
It is assumed that Bakel fort could have existed even from the early days of the Chirakkal Rajas. ”Several forts were built by the Shivappa Naiks of Bedannur between 1650 and 1670”.We find this observation in H.A.Stuart’sBook of south canara.Its almost certain that the two forts were originally under the rule of Kolathiri or Chirakkal raja until the time of Shivappa nayak’s invasion.Most of the historians are in the opinion that the founders of the fort might be Ikkeri Nayaks.
The fort construction was eventually completed duringthe tenure of Shivappa naik.Historians point out the presence of Kotteyar community in the regions of Bakel, Panayal as a living testimony that throws light into the construction of the fort.It is believed that Nayaks brought the Kotteyar community to build and maintain the fort. Chandragiri fort was also built during these period.There were prolonged struggles between the Nayaka regime and Chirakkal dynasty for establishing control over the fort.
when mysore sulthan Hyderali became a super power he conquered the Nayakas and the area was incorporated and controlled byMysore Sulthans.It was served as an important military station for Tippu sulthan. The coins excavated from the fort suggests the occupation of the fort by Tippusulthan. Itis believed that the the observation tower , the hall mark of bakel fort,was erected during the reign of Tippusulthan.
walkaway by the ridge
The English defeated Tippu sulthan in the fourth Anglo Mysore war 1799 and the control of the fort fell into the hands of the British east india company.There is a rest house ,constructed by the british rulers the great Malabarian archetectural fortification was structured uniquely with laterite rocks.
The great castle f resembles the st Angelo fort of Kannur constructed by the dutch. It also bears close similarities with the Thalassery fort.As the fort is projected towards the sea three fourth of the forts curtain walls and other parts remain drenched in the sea .We feel it as a solidification of wave energy to form this unique majestic power. we feel it has been come up from the depths of blue ocean so that it may share the greenery of earth .
.,The imposing structure of latarite curtain wall remains at a height of 130 feet above sea level.The fort has seven bastions and a moat all around ,Bastions are
VIEW just outside the tunnel
circular structure projecting out from curtain wall a .Bastion fortification offered a greater degree of passive resistance and more scope for gun powder artillary compared with earlier fortification styles.The Bakel fort spread over an area of more than forty acres,it now tranquilizes the visitors with its vastness and serenity.
solitary tree and a monument
the tunnel opening towards south is rare architectural marvel that leads us to a serene space by the side of beech.We are get lost in the strange spell npervaded there ..the solitary treeas a witness and a monument under vthe tree that brave the passage of time, we could see the series of coloured boats and nets along the coast.
tunnel towards south