The parambikkulam wild life sanctuary. No 2
parambikkulam tiger reserve
The word ‘ Parambu mala ‘is referred in the songs versed by Kapilan in Purananoor a work of Sangham period.the same palce is referred in the work was later called as Parambikkulam.it was ruled by a generous king called Pari or Velpari.the area was a part of Pandimandalam division.
The forests of Parambikkulam were included in Sungam forest reserve and Parambikulam forest resesrve during nineteeth century. Porter in1886 wrote the first ever plan to manage Sungam forest resesrve.Heavy expoloitation of forests for valuable timber started then. Teak planting began in parambikkulam during 1921.the last plantation was raised in1983.
elephant in forest
The tram way was introduced in 1905 to exploit and forest resouces most effectively.It was set up by maharaja of Cochin.Tramway transported valuable timber from Parambikkulam to Chalakkudy.It was labelled as cochin teak and was exported.to the rest of the world. From cochin harbour.The present day Cochin port was constructed using the revenue generated fromParambikulam teak.The tram way was stopped in 1953. There are monuments in the form of rails and wagons,
Parambikulam wild life sanctuary
Parambikulam forest forms the home for four different Adivasi communities namely Kadar, malavar , mudavar,malamalsar.These four ethnic groups are settled in six colonies.The other human settlement is known as PAP ccolony which came into existence 1950s and 1960s.there exists perfect harmony between the tribal people and wild life eco development programmes have been launched in order to improve their living conditions.
According to the old tribal belief when the teak was axed blood oozed out from the cut, it was worshipped as sacred virgin tree by the local tribal community. Kannimara teak is conferred the position of a magnificient tree.
It is believed to be more than 450 years old,the legendary tree has been awarded the prestigious mahavrikska puraskaram by the govt of india in1994.
Mount Stuart rest house
Mount stuart rest house is located 690 m high from sea level on a mount . we can see the burial ground of Hugo wood ifs who died on 12. 12. 1933.